Tuesday, 30 December 2008

George part 1

"You must be a good basketball player!"

At the sound of that sentence, I immediately snapped out of my day-dream. I turned to Vicky, the girl next to me. I noticed that her face was rough, almost entirely covered by pimples.

"Excuse me?" I replied. "What did you just say?"

"I said, with your height, you must be very good at basketball. Am I right?"

"Not exactly," said I, half annoyed. "I hate basketball."

"Really?" said Vicky, and she looked as if she had just encountered a tiger.

Not exactly the kind of person I thought I would meet on the first day of school, I thought. I didn't know anything about her yet, but she pricked the sensitive part of my heart, and I just blurted out those words. Steorotyping people, huh? That's was what I disliked most. Since young many touched the topic of my height, and I got sick of it. I hated being tall. It made me uncomfortable around people.

The first lesson was Physics and the teacher spoke like a robot. I drifted even at the moment she started speaking, and day-dreamed about her being in a science-fiction film where humans were facing extinction. Looks like this school isn't as good as I thought it would be. Probably my decision wasn't right after all. I shouldn't have left SMK I.L.U. My sister Grace was right. Sometimes I'm just too rebellious.

"George?"

I jumped in surprise. I hadn't introduced myself as George to anyone yet.

"Georgia! George! Behind. What are you doing here?"

I turned back immediately and saw a guy with thick-framed glasses and spicky hair. I felt my eyes open widely in surprise.

"Andy? What are you doing here?"

"Did you realise that you asked him the same question he asked you?" said Vicky, turning around.

"Yeah," said I, ignoring her. "I didn't know you were studying in this school, Andy."

"No suprise," said Andy. "We lost contact a few years ago. You still look exactly the same, George."

I loved being called George instead of Georgia, and it felt great when Andy called me that, especially when I was in a pool full of creatures I don't know, or in others words, people who don't know what a creature I am.

to be continued....

No comments: