Tuesday, 26 April 2011

The Harmony Silk Factory

Now that I have finally graduated from TOA (Tons of Assignments), and in the midst of packing up to go overseas, I used some of my free time to go back to the hobby I missed so much - reading. For the three years of my diploma programme, I didn't have much time to spare for reading any novels. The only time I got to read was during the semester breaks, and I always only got to finish just one book. The last English novel I read was probably "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson, and that was like, a year ago?

Throughout the times I was in my room staring at my laptop, scribbling on my graphic tablet, dozens of books sat comfortably on the shelf near my closet, wondering when they would be read. One of them was "The Harmony Silk Factory" by Malaysian writer Tash Aw. My uncle from Australia left it here after he finished it during his last trip here.

When I took hold of this book, ready to immerse myself into the story, I wasn't having high hopes. It would be just another war and romance story, something like those Singaporean writers would write (no offense).

But I was wrong.

Tash Aw's writing style is very interesting, and the way he input those Malayan elements into the setting was very effective and natural. It had a sort of oriental feel to it too. It felt different to read - different from the previous novels I had read. As I read it I also had a sense of closeness or familiarness to it, because there were names and things that we have here in Malaysia.

Storywise, Tash Aw succeeded in using a creative way of narrating the story, and it was very gripping to read. He also managed to sculpt out unique characters that seemed so mysterious, and yet charismatic.

I am now halfway through the story, and I can't wait to go back to it, so goodbye for now!

I will be back for more reviews on this book.

No comments: